[syslinux] isohybrid and partition type 0x17

Andres Salomon dilinger at queued.net
Mon Apr 15 23:28:33 PDT 2013

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 21:25:43 -0700
"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:

> On 04/15/2013 08:31 PM, Andres Salomon wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > OLPC's Openfirmware (OFW) implementation chokes when attempting to
> > boot an iso created by isohybrid.  The problem is that OFW's
> > ISO-9660 support expects a partition type of 0x96 (CHRP ISO-9660,
> > according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_type).  I see
> > from
> > http://git.kernel.org/cgit/boot/syslinux/syslinux.git/commit/utils/isohybrid.in?id=aee4e8fa73571eaca80ad43aa007523cde5d4567
> > that the partition type was originally 0x83 (Linux), and was
> > changed to 0x17 (hidden IFS) to satisfy windows.
> >
> > I'm wondering what's the correct partition type to actually use.
> > Does windows balk if 0x96 is used?  Should OFW be using 0x17, or
> > should isohybrid (and debian-installer) be using 0x96 for a
> > partition table containing an ISO-9660 filesystem?
> >

> OK, once again, is this yet another "OFW" which really means "OLPC
> OFW"? There seem to be quite a few little "cute ideas" in that pile...

Yes, which is why I said "OLPC's Openfirmware (OFW)".

I haven't been able to find the answer to my question anywhere in the
ISO9660 standards.  It could be a bug in OFW (again, OLPC's).  This
wouldn't be surprising, since no one currently uses the iso9660
driver.  If it is a bug in our OFW, it would be nice to fix it.  If it's
not a bug in OFW, then it would be nice to get syslinux fixed.  I
suspect it's a grey area, but was hoping someone on the list might know.

> The 0x1X are used by Windows as partitions that aren't actually seen,
> which keeps Windows from puking on the disc.  I don't remember the
> exact way it would puke, but it is probably in the archives.  As far
> as testing 0x96 under Windows, that is easy to do; there is even a
> command-line option to do so.  If it works I have no objections to
> changing the default.

I can't seem to find the puking in the archives; the closest I can find
is this - http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2009-May/012843.html
Mind dropping a hint as to what I should be looking for?