[syslinux] isohybrid and partition type 0x17

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 09:19:04 PDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 7:58 AM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> There is no partition type associated with iso9660, since iso9660 is normally written to an unpartitioned device.  So the 0x96 thing is most likely some thing you guys simply made up.  (Consider the digits!)
>
> Andres Salomon <dilinger at queued.net> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 21:25:43 -0700

>>http://git.kernel.org/cgit/boot/syslinux/syslinux.git/commit/utils/isohybrid.in?id=aee4e8fa73571eaca80ad43aa007523cde5d4567

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Partition_type&diff=510296573&oldid=510086292

No external reference cited.  No reference to what "CHRP" means
(perhaps http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Hardware_Reference_Platform
).  I'd certainly consider it "made up" by Matthiaspaul.  Perhaps
http://www.openfirmware.org/ofwg/bindings/chrp/chrp1_6d.ps page 56?

To me, this feels like arbitrary application of a foreign standard
(one that was specifically targeted to a completely different
architecture).

--
-Gene