[syslinux] [extlinux] Confusing error message when pointing to a ro fs

Regid Ichira regid23 at nt1.in
Wed Apr 17 16:06:52 PDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 06:37:49AM +1000, Jack Kelly wrote:
> Last night, I was trying to install syslinux (5.01) to a SD card of
> mine, writing to a subdirectory to keep the layout neat:
>
> syslinux-5.01/linux# ./syslinux -i -d /boot /dev/mmcblk0p1
> /dev/mmcblk0p1: No such file or directory
>
> The message is coming from do_open_file() in syslinux.c: the call to
> open() fails because the containing directory isn't present, and then it
> calls perror(opt.device).
>
> If the directory is present, syslinux installs and will boot. It's just
> a matter of either improving the error message or trying to make the
> directory before populating it.

Package: extlinux
Version: 2:4.05+dfsg-6+deb7u1

  I think the same error message is printed when extlinux is trying
to use a read only file system.  Maybe that message should also be
improved.  2:4.05+dfsg-6+deb7u1 is from debian.  Even though debian
seem to change the source code, I think the relevant code is not
different from upstream.