[syslinux] best resolution detection

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Apr 18 08:15:20 PDT 2013

On 04/16/2013 11:45 PM, Shuduo Sang wrote:

>> It is a bit hard, because even if the relevant BIOS calls are
>> implemented, most video BIOSes have a fixed list of largely archaic
>> resolutions.
>
> grub2 can use VESA BIOS extensions to get supported resolution list.
> Although there be possible mistake BIOS grub meet and make grub fallback.
> If syslinux has this feature we may reduce resolution switching and reduce
> screen flash or visual artifacts at last.

I don't think you understood what I am saying.

On a typical laptop, this is what VESA BIOS will tell you:

"Welcome to VESA BIOS.  The native resolution is 1600x900.  Would you
like to set your screen resolution to 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, or
1280x1024?"

To be fair, there are some which are much better than that, but they are
the exception, not the rule.