[syslinux] gpxelinux.0 Unable to locate configuration file while pxelinux.0 works

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 19:22:26 PDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 6:12 PM, peter Sjoberg <lpaseen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-04-18 at 17:52 -0400, Gene Cumm wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 5:01 PM, peter Sjoberg <lpaseen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I have a situation very similar to whats in
>> > http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2013-January/019251.html
>> >
>> > The server is setup to provide info over dhcp+tftp and I'm planning on
>> > chaning that to dhcp+http so I copied gpxelinux.0 to pxelinux.0 and
>> > started failing.
>> > The client (in my case it's a hp proliant BL460c G7) manage to get
>> > gpxelinux.0 loaded but when it comes to load the config file it slowly
>> > walks down the pxelinux.cfg/* files until it hits the end and give up.
>> >
>> > On server side I see the first requests for gpxelinux.0 but after that
>> > it's nothing coming, even checked with tcpdump and nothing from the
>> > client ip.
>> > I have tried the precompiled version of gpxelinux.0 of version
>> > 4.02,4.04,4.06 & 5.01 - all fail.
>> > Use pxelinux.0 with everything else the same and it works.
>> >
>> > Any clue on what is going on? What can I do (besides stay with tftp)?
>>
>> Likely misbehaving UNDI stack.  Although undesirable, it's not
>> unusual.  Are the server and client on the same subnet?
> Nope, different subnets and no way I can put them on same.
>>   Tried
>> checking for a BIOS update or NIC firmware update?
> No and even if it would work it would still be an issue because the way
> we do firmware upgrades is boot network and select a different menu
> point then the default "boot local disk".
> And that means if I would upgrade this blade to latest fw rev and it
> works I still have a few hundred out there that will fail.
>
>> --
>> -Gene

It may be worth using 1 old and 1 new (assuming the new works), then
comparing the PXE-related DHCP packets to see if there's any easily
discernible differences that can be reliably associated with the
upgrade and use that within your dhcpd config to hand out pxelinux.0
versus gpxelinux.0 with option 210 pointing to an HTTP prefix.

Otherwise, you'll have to abandon gpxelinux.0 and go with a manual
gPXE build with the appropriate model-specific driver (not undi or
undionly but one like bnx2) in .pxe format with a script to boot
pxelinux.0 and possibly option 210 like
http://etherboot.org/wiki/appnotes/pxelinux_tftp_to_http_migration?s[]=dhcpd&s[]=conf#gpxe_to_the_rescue

--
-Gene