[syslinux] gpxelinux.0 Unable to locate configuration file while pxelinux.0 works

peter Sjoberg lpaseen at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 19:16:36 PDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-04-19 at 10:08 -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 04/18/2013 02:01 PM, peter Sjoberg wrote:
> > I have a situation very similar to whats in
> > http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2013-January/019251.html
> >
> > The server is setup to provide info over dhcp+tftp and I'm planning on
> > chaning that to dhcp+http so I copied gpxelinux.0 to pxelinux.0 and
> > started failing.
> > The client (in my case it's a hp proliant BL460c G7) manage to get
> > gpxelinux.0 loaded but when it comes to load the config file it slowly
> > walks down the pxelinux.cfg/* files until it hits the end and give up.
> >
> > On server side I see the first requests for gpxelinux.0 but after that
> > it's nothing coming, even checked with tcpdump and nothing from the
> > client ip.
> > I have tried the precompiled version of gpxelinux.0 of version
> > 4.02,4.04,4.06 & 5.01 - all fail.
> > Use pxelinux.0 with everything else the same and it works.
> >
> > Any clue on what is going on? What can I do (besides stay with tftp)?
> >

> You could try lpxelinux.0 from 5.10-pre*.
Maybe but after seeing it working on a different server (BL460C G6) I
did bite the bullet and did a firmware upgrade, UNDU PXE 2.0
3.102.517.701 became 4.2.401.6, and after that gpxelinux.0 works fine
also (well, still need to figure out what menu.c32 to use, see the
versions and so on but that's another story).

While it impacts lots of servers we have an environment where it's
reasonable simple to change how a server network boots so I left one
option booting pxelinux.0 for when firmware upgrade is needed.