[syslinux] [PXELinux 5.01] BUG: "unable to locate configuration file" if directory tftpboot/syslinux exists

Matt Fleming matt at console-pimps.org
Wed Apr 24 06:20:19 PDT 2013

On 11/03/13 18:08, Stefan Kanthak wrote:
> Matt Fleming wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2013-02-28 at 20:06 +0100, Stefan Kanthak wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm using PXELinux (on Windows NT5.x, with Windows NT5.x tftpd and the
>>> PXE server included in the "Windows XP Embedded Remote Boot Server").
>>> This works well here since more than 10 years now.
>>>
>>> Recently I created a subdirectory "syslinux" in my "tftpboot" ... and
>>> PXELINUX failed with the message "unable to locate configuration file".
>>> Renaming that directory works around the bug.
>>
>> What version of PXELINUX are you using?
>
> The version I wrote in the tag in the subject: 5.01.
>
> To reproduce the bug use the following setup:
>
> /tftpboot/pxelinux.0
>
> /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default
>     with (or without.-) the line "PATH syslinux"
>
> /tftpboot/syslinux/
>     to hold ALL *.c32 (including ldlinux.c32, in contradiction to my
>     previous answer to Geert Stappers)
>
> The error message "unable to locate configuration file" is clearly
> wrong here (and misleading). It has to be "failed to load ldlinux.c32"
> instead!

This was fixed in Syslinux-5.02-pre3 and the fix will be in the next
release. The error message is accurate because ldlinux.c32 actually does
get loaded (there's builtin code to search for syslinux/ldlinux.c32) and
it's only the config file that cannot be found.

--
Matt Fleming, Intel Open Source Technology Center