[syslinux] casper-rw and PXE

Helmut Hullen Hullen at t-online.de
Wed Apr 24 07:55:00 PDT 2013

Hallo, syslinux,

I'm working with an USB stick and an *.iso image.

On an USB stick I can use "casper-rw" and "home-rw" for persistent
directories/files. Under PXE I haven't yet found a similar option.

Is that a syslinux-/pxelinux problem, or is that a "casper" problem?

Example:

USB stick, part of "isolinux.cfg":

label desinfect
  menu label Desinfec't 2013 starten
  kernel /casper/vmlinuz
  append BOOT_IMAGE=/casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper persistent initrd=/casper/initrd.lz iso-scan/filename=/software/desinfect-2013.iso memtest=4 -- debian-installer/language=de console-setup/layoutcode?=de

PXE boot, part of ".../pxelinux.cfg/default":

LABEL desinfect2013
    MENU LABEL Desinfec't 2013
    kernel /desinfect/casper/vmlinuz
    APPEND root=/dev/nfs boot=casper initrd=/desinfect/casper/initrd.lz file=/desinfect/preseed/ubuntu.seed netboot=nfs nfsroot=192.168.0.1:/tftpboot/desinfect memtest=4 -- debian-installer/language=de console-setup/layoutcode?=de
#

The "persistent" option means that a partition "casper-rw" and/or "home-
rw" ist "rw" mounted and contains/overwrites files which also exist
within the (unchangeable) *.iso image.

As mentioned: on an USB stick that works like a charm. Is there a
comparable option for PXE boot?

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut