[syslinux] ifcpu[64].c32 functions drop to command line

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 13:59:31 PDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 4:10 PM, John McDonnell <mcdonnjd at pcam.org> wrote:
> I'm using syslinux (gpxelinux.0) 5.01 straight from kernel.org on a FreeBSD 9 server.

> In trying to diagnose the problem, I also discovered that pwd.c32 and ls.c32 do not work either. This is what I see when using them:
>
> boot: pwd
> : :
> boot: ls
> Unable to read directory: .

> NOTE:
> I figured I should test this on the 4.x branch before submitting this e-mail so I just installed a copy of syslinux 4.06  and the ifcpu.c32 module did work there. However, the ls.c32 and pwd.c32 modules still did not. Did I stumble across something bizarre or do I simply have something wrong in my setup? I have only tried this with PXE and haven't tried CD or USB booting. The PC I'm PXE booting is a HP dc5800 with an Intel Core 2 Duo.

pwd.c32 and ls.c32 are working perfectly.

pwd.c32's output (although terse) is correct as it's based on the
initial working directory (which is based on DHCP option 209, field
sname/option 66 and field file/option 67).

ls.c32 will always return nothing useful for PXELINUX.  Your closest
option is akin to 'more.c32 mydir/?format=text' assuming the httpd
will return something useful (the example is just pseudo code in the
URL).  TFTP and HTTP offer no real mechanism for directories (but most
httpds will implement something for you and it's possible to code a
tftpd to do the same)

--
-Gene