[syslinux] Kernel selection by hardware?

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Aug 1 10:52:30 PDT 2013

On 08/01/2013 09:04 AM, Sven Geggus wrote:
> Mattias Schlenker <ms at mattiasschlenker.de> wrote:
>
>> Is ifcpu.c32 or ifcpu64.c32 sufficient for your task?
>
> No. I need to detect a given machine by something unique. E.g. the
> MAC-address of the Ethernet Interface CPU-id or such, because I have custom
> kernels for all the machines.

Are you network booting, or booting from media?

With network boot you get a query for a MAC-specific configuration file.
 With media boot it is a bit harder, because although in theory each
machine should have a unique UUID, a lot do not, and getting the MAC
address usually requires a device driver if not network booted.