[syslinux] bug in syslinux 6.01 with gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L

Barto mister.freeman at laposte.net
Fri Aug 2 00:40:40 PDT 2013

Hello,

I notice a bug in syslinux 6.01 ( bios version ) when I install it in a
USB flash drive ( FAT32 partition ) and when I want to boot this USB
flash drive with a gigabyte motherboard ( GA-P31-DS3L ),

I setup my usb flash drive ( 4 Gb ) like this in windows XP :

syslinux.exe -m -a -i -d /boot/syslinux H:

then I create a syslinux.cfg menu and I add these files :  chain.c32
libcom32.c32 libutil.c32 memdisk menu.c32 vesamenu.c32

the bug : the system freeze immediatly after booting the USB flash
drive, I can see the menu created by syslinux.cfg but I can't use the
keyboard,

If I delete the syslinux.cfg file the system freezes again, I can see
the text message from syslinux ( copyright, version of the syslinux and
command line ) but the keyboard doesn't respond, then I tried the -s
switch from syslinux.exe ( slow, stupid mode ) but it doesn't help,

If I install syslinux 4.04 the bug is gone, all is Ok, I can use the
keyboard, no system freeze,

something seems to be wrong in syslinux 6.01, my gigabyte motherboard (
bios award F10A version, date : 07/30/2008, it's the last version )
doesn't support syslinux 6.01,

if I test with my another PC all is ok with syslinux 6.01 ( an old
laptop ECS bought in 2003 ), but with my gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L ( intel
P31 chipset, socket 775 ) there is a problem with syslinux 6.01, the
solution for me is to use an old version of syslinux ( 4.04 ),

Gigabyte motherboards are know to have problems with USB boot if the MBR
code is not perfect, I think we can fix this problem because with
syslinux 4.04 it work without problems