[syslinux] Intel DX79TO localboot problem with CentOS

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Aug 5 06:09:36 PDT 2013

On 08/05/2013 06:04 AM, Jonas Keidel wrote:
> 2013/8/5 H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com>
>
>> On 08/05/2013 05:37 AM, Jonas Keidel wrote:
>>> I have problems with the current syslinux (6.02-pre16) booting CentOS 6.4
>>> 64bit via LOCALBOOT 0 with the Intel DX79TO.
>>
>> Did it work in previous versions?
>>

> As i have written, in every previous syslinux version it didn't work.
>

>>> Also in every previous version there is problem exiting the pxe-stack. It
>>> boots again from bios.
>>
>> What do you mean with "exiting the PXE stack" in this context?
>>

> So i mean looking for the next boot device in the bios boot order. The
> screen output says:
>
> Boot from local hdd ...
> Exiting PXE.
>
> And then it reboots.

I don't know how much we can do about that.  "localboot 0" and
"localboot -1" are effectively different ways to request the same
service from the BIOS, but it seems one is broken.  Other than having a
huge quirks table, of course, but that is problematic in itself.

chain.c32 may be a better option all around... instead of exiting to the
BIOS to let it pick up the next device, it loads the boot data from disk
directly.