[syslinux] build for ARM (rpi)

Dash Four mr.dash.four at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 6 03:56:30 PDT 2013

Gene Cumm wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 5:40 PM, Dash Four <mr.dash.four at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> livecd-creator is the tool I use to build my images as I have been doing for
>> the best part of 10 years. I use it, because it does the dirty work for me
>> and it (usually) works well, so that I don't have to execute various shell
>> scripts and build that image "manually" so to speak.
>>

> I'm willing to bet that livecd-creator was created just for Intel
> x86/x86-64 (aka IA32/IA32-64, x64) and use it for an ARM (Raspberry
> Pi), a use that was never coded for nor anticipated.

Nope. I am using it to build images for other arches (ppc being one)
without problems.

> - You are using livecd-creator to build your environment, an open
> source solution to build a live CD with numerous python scripts.

Correct.

> - livecd-creator has a hard-coded requirement of Syslinux (unless the
> Syslinux-specific build and ISO generation components are
> removed/disabled)

Nope. As I already pointed out above, I am using it to build images for
E604 (ppc-based CPU) and that system doesn't have syslinux installed (it
relies on a modified version of u-boot).

> - Syslinux is only intended for (and likely buildable on) x86/x86-64
> - Your build target is a Raspberry Pi, an architecture that isn't
> compatible with Intel x86/x86-64.

Nope - see above.

>> I've managed to thwart the syslinux dependencies by creating a "dummy"
>> package, so I resolved my little conundrum for the time being.
>>

> Well, that removes one of the constraints.

Indeed it does.