[syslinux] Intel DX79TO localboot problem with CentOS

Jonas Keidel jonas at jonas-keidel.de
Tue Aug 6 04:07:09 PDT 2013

2013/8/6 Gene Cumm <gene.cumm at gmail.com>

> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 9:04 AM, Jonas Keidel <jonas at jonas-keidel.de>
> wrote:

> 6.4
> >>
> >> Did it work in previous versions?
> >
> > As i have written, in every previous syslinux version it didn't work.
>
> Could you be specific on what versions you've tried?  3.86, 4.07 and
> 4.02 would be the first suggest.

I've tried 3.82 and 4.07.

> pxe-stack. It
> >>
> >> What do you mean with "exiting the PXE stack" in this context?
> >
> > So i mean looking for the next boot device in the bios boot order. The
> > screen output says:
> >
> > Boot from local hdd ...
> > Exiting PXE.
> >
> > And then it reboots.
>
> I think I had that issue with a first-generation uEFI-based system
> (Dell Latitude E6410) that did this on me.

And did You find any solution towards this?

> On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 2:17 AM, Jonas Keidel <jonas at jonas-keidel.de>
> wrote:
> > so further information towards the chain.c32 problem:
> > we can't boot from a software raid with this, because if the first hdd is
> > swapped (and empty), the system normally can boot from the secondary hdd.
> > But with chain.c32 that isn't possible.
> > So we need localboot working.
>
> How would your BIOS handle this if PXE were not involved?  Are you
> using the driver-based RAID feature of your onboard SATA controller?
> I believe for pre-OS environments, the drives will act like one.  For
> chain.c32, that'd be hd0.

It is a software raid, so the bios don't know about that. And both disks
are usually bootable (except after replacement).
So, localboot selects the next boot device after network card, if this is
not bootable it will got to the next. If the first hdd is empty (after
replacement), it will automatically boot from the second hdd.
chain.c32 doesn't do that.