[syslinux] com32 module compatibility between 5.x versions

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Aug 8 22:37:42 PDT 2013

On 08/08/2013 03:54 PM, Pete Batard wrote:

> As such, I am very much hoping that this is just a one of occurence, and
> that future v5.x ldlinux.sys are going to be compatible with .c32
> modules from versions 5.10 or above.
>
> Can you please confirm whether this should be the case?

No, we pretty much only guarantee that modules work when they all come
from the same version.  This is *especially* true for ldlinux.c32, which
is really just an extension of ldlinux.sys, but it applies to other
modules as well.

> If not, this will be a major setback for my app, because it means I'll
> have to multiply the versions of ldlinux.sys embedded, as well as add
> detection for the exact ISOLINUX version being used (is there an easy
> way to do that?).

Sorry.  If you are substituting any files you should substitute them all.