[syslinux] Automatic boot menu?

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Thu Aug 29 04:14:26 PDT 2013

"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> writes:

> On 08/22/2013 10:20 AM, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
>
>> Now that Syslinux has ls.c32 and lua.c32, it should be possible to build
>> a customizable boot menu in the bootloader itself, instead of generating
>> it beforehand by hooking into the kernel installation/removal process.
>> Sure that would not work over TFTP (no ls), but the already mentioned
>> 20th century way would not either.  Sadly, directory handling is not
>> implemented in the embedded Lua interpreter, or at least I failed to
>> find it.  Is there perhaps some deep reason for this?  Or is this idea
>> useless anyway?
>>

> No, there isn't any reason for that.  It's just a matter of noone having
> done it yet.
>
> It would be a very good thing to get this done.

Thanks, glad to hear it.  And would it be necessary to reimplement the
menu system in Lua, or would it be possible to hand over the generated
config to menu.c32 somehow?  If not, then maybe extending menu.c32 with
some "dynamic" directives would be a lot easier.  Unfortunately that
would restrict the functionality to the simple menu system and also make
it more rigid, but that's probably the bulk of the use cases anyway...
Feri.