[syslinux] cleaning requires header files

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 16:11:23 PDT 2013

On Aug 30, 2013 7:28 AM, "YuGiOhJCJ Mailing-List"
<yugiohjcj-mailinglist at laposte.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 05:43:42 -0400
> Gene Cumm <gene.cumm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Aug 30, 2013 4:51 AM, "YuGiOhJCJ Mailing-List" <
> > yugiohjcj-mailinglist at laposte.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > If I do:
> > > $ tar xvf syslinux-6.01.tar.xz
> > > $ cd syslinux-6.01
> > > $ make clean
> > >
> > > Then I get:
> > > ".../syslinux-6.01/mk/efi.mk:27: *** Missing ia32 gnu-efi header files.
> >  Stop."
> > >
> > > Is it normal that cleaning requires header files ?
> >
> > http://www.zytor.com/pipermail/syslinux-commits/2012-November/002010.html
> >
> > As of 6.00, there are now three architectures of binaries.  Your build
> > environment is no longer capable of building everything.  Try prefixing
> > "bios" into the command.
> >
> >     make bios clean
> >     make bios installer
> >

> Indeed it works with:
> $ make bios clean
>
> I see that the "clean" target does not remove all the generated files (for example isolinux.bin).
> Is there a better target I can call that removes all the generated files (including isolinux.bin) ?

This is by design.  Numerous build environments have made broken
binaries (including some of my own).

I'd highly recommend that you carefully read doc/distrib.txt as it
should answer why this is discouraged and the name of the target you
seek.

--Gene