[syslinux] cleaning requires header files

Fri Aug 30 19:05:32 PDT 2013

On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 19:11:23 -0400
Gene Cumm <gene.cumm at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 30, 2013 7:28 AM, "YuGiOhJCJ Mailing-List"
> <yugiohjcj-mailinglist at laposte.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 05:43:42 -0400
> > Gene Cumm <gene.cumm at gmail.com> wrote:

> > >  Stop."

> > > http://www.zytor.com/pipermail/syslinux-commits/2012-November/002010.html
> > >
> > > As of 6.00, there are now three architectures of binaries.  Your build
> > > environment is no longer capable of building everything.  Try prefixing
> > > "bios" into the command.
> > >
> > >     make bios clean
> > >     make bios installer
> > >

> > Indeed it works with:
> > $ make bios clean
> >
> > I see that the "clean" target does not remove all the generated files (for example isolinux.bin).
> > Is there a better target I can call that removes all the generated files (including isolinux.bin) ?
>
> This is by design.  Numerous build environments have made broken
> binaries (including some of my own).
>
> I'd highly recommend that you carefully read doc/distrib.txt as it
> should answer why this is discouraged and the name of the target you
> seek.

Indeed, the information is contained into the doc/distrib.txt file.
The target I am looking for is "spotless":
$ make bios spotless

OK I think I understand now why it is discouraged to do that.
In fact, if I need support later with this generated binary then I probably could not get support because it increases the difficulty for debugging.
Anyway, if I see my binary does not work correctly then I will come back to the original binaries to see if there is a different behaviour.