[syslinux] About the google-invisibility of this list

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Sun Dec 8 05:58:37 PST 2013

Hi,

i wondered why our happy bug hunt about the uninitialized
register did not pop up in Google during a search for
recent mentionings of xorriso.
Wasn't there a thread about google-invisibility a few months
ago ?

So i began to watch and made an experiment.

Can it be that this HTML tag
  META NAME="robots" CONTENT="noindex,follow"
in
  http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2013-November/thread.html
and
  http://www.syslinux.org/archives/
is to blame ?

When i tried with the quite unique search text
"Sysinux 6 will not boot", i only got to a search engine
(or whatever) called "marshut".
Not a single link to a message in www.syslinux.org/archives.
The same for the title texts of the other longish threads of
november 2013.

The source of 2013-November/thread.html looks not overly
repelling for search robots.
HTML ... HEAD ... META NAME="robots" CONTENT="noindex,follow"
should lead them to the messages.

Nevertheless this seems not to be usual in mailing list archives.
So i made an experiment:
  http://scdbackup.webframe.org/syslinux_2013_11.html
is a copy of 2013-November/thread.html, just missing that tag.
I placed a link to it at a fewly visited corner of the web
and began to watch daily. This was 8 days ago.

Three days ago, "Sysinux 6 will not boot" showed up by three
links to the syslinux.org archive. This was probably due to
info spreading in the Archlinux community.

Today, my lure page showed up for the first time. It is the
only match to "Syslinux November 2013" (with quotation marks).
And suddenly i get a handful of matches for each of the longer
threads in november 2013.

Maybe just a random incident ...

But i think it is worth a try to remove the META NAME="robots"
tag from the Year-Month/thread.html pages, and best from
  http://www.syslinux.org/archives/
too.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas