[syslinux] PXELINUX [BIOS] 6.02 - Upgrade to 6.02 from 4.07 introduces local boot regression

Cory Fair cory.fair at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 12:27:00 PST 2013

Hello All, this is my first post so I'll try to be as verbose as possible.

We have a PXE deployment server serving mostly fujitsu RX300 rack mount
servers with Intel 82575EB Gigabit Ethernet Controllers onboard. I recently
upgraded from version 4.07 to version 6.02 and, without making any edits to
my default menu, immediately noticed a regression. I use vesamenu.c32 to
present a menu to the user which starts with something like this:

default vesamenu.c32
    prompt 0

    menu title Host Provisioning Tool
    menu INCLUDE pxelinux.cfg/graphics.conf
    MENU AUTOBOOT Starting Local System in # seconds
    MENU BACKGROUND splash.jpg

    label bootlocal
      menu label ^Boot This Host
      menu default
      localboot 0
      timeout 80

Prior to upgrading to pxelinux 6.02 If you did nothing for 8 seconds the
system would boot from the local disk. Now the system will hang after the
timeout. The only visual difference I can discern is that when the system
properly boots I see a message briefly indicating the PXE boot rom had
exited properly. Now with version 6.02 It hangs just before that.

Another datapoint, I reverted back to version 6.01 and the problem seems to
be resolved.
Final datapoint, if you hit "enter" instead of waiting for the timeout
(using version 6.02) it will boot properly

My basic question is what is right place to report this issue to the
project?

Best regards,

Cory Fair