[syslinux] PXELINUX [BIOS] 6.02 - Upgrade to 6.02 from 4.07 introduces local boot regression

Cory Fair cory.fair at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 10:42:16 PST 2013

Gene, Ady thanks for your suggestions.

>> What if you dropped the timeout to 0.8-2.0 seconds or even 0.2 seconds?

I tried setting the delay to 2 seconds and 0.2 with no change in behavior.

>> First, please be sure you are using all C32 modules from the exact same
Syslinux version, including ldlinux.c32 and all lib*.c32 library modules,
all located somewhere under the "./bios/" directory path of Syslinux 6.02.

I went ahead and re-copied the "./bios/" 6.02 files (compiled from source
from kernel.org). Just for sanity's sake. Below is the current list of my
tftpboot dir.

vmshe-dhcp ---> /tftpboot/linux
$ ls -l
total 588
-rwxrwxrwx   1 root root 123300 Dec 10 10:39 ldlinux.c32
-rwxrwxrwx   1 root root 187700 Dec 10 10:39 libcom32.c32
-rwxrwxrwx   1 root root  26468 Dec 10 10:40 libutil.c32
-rwxrwxrwx   1 root root   4856 Dec 10 10:40 linux.c32
-rwxrwxrwx   1 root root  19817 Sep 25 10:29 linux.jpg
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root   1240 Dec 10 10:58 localboot.c32
-rwxrwxrwx   1 root root  10200 Dec 10 10:40 mboot.c32
-rwxrwxrwx   1 root root  26140 Dec 10 10:41 memdisk
-rwxrwxrwx   1 root root  29148 Dec 10 10:41 menu.c32
-rwxrwxrwx   1 root root  42817 Dec 10 10:42 pxelinux.0
drwxrwxrwx.  2 root root   4096 Dec  9 14:20 pxelinux.cfg
drwxrwxrwx  74 root root   8192 Dec  6 09:31 pxe_repo
-rwxrwxrwx   1 root root  48732 May 15  2012 splash.jpg
-rwxrwxrwx   1 root root  29668 Dec 10 10:43 vesamenu.c32
-rwxrwxrwx   1 root root  11708 Dec  4 16:23 wimboot

Behavior still persists.

>> Instead of 'LOCALBOOT 0', have you tried the localboot.c32 module?

Tried this out as follows:

UI vesamenu.c32
DEFAULT bootlocal
    prompt 0

    menu title Host Provisioning Tool
    menu INCLUDE pxelinux.cfg/graphics.conf
    MENU AUTOBOOT Starting Local System in # seconds
    MENU BACKGROUND splash.jpg

label bootlocal
      menu label ^Boot This Host
      KERNEL localboot.c32
      timeout 80

and I see the following output and a hang after timeout:

"Booting from local disk...
E46EB:0000"

>> After the official release of Syslinux 6.02, there were some patches.

:-) being in QA, as a profession, my general experience is to only apply
patches when they are known to fix issues you are looking for. I'm willing
to give it a shot though just as a datapoint. Is there a link directly to
the archlinux syslinux files or do I need to install archlinux to get the
files out?

Regards,

Cory