[syslinux] extlinux and btrfs

Gene Czarcinski gczarcinski at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 07:34:20 PST 2013

I am a relative newcomer to using extlinux.  I am running Fedora 20
which means I am using syslinux 4.05.  When I noticied that all of your
documentation said that booting off ext234 and btrfs was supported, I
gave it a try.  Indeed, this does work with the boot files and the
extlinux directory installed into the btrfs (root) volume.

Has any thought been given to supporting supporting /boot/extlinux being
on a btrfs subvolume?  This does mean that there is an extra level (the
subvol) which looks a lot like a directory.

Since booting with the btrfs used works, I thought that it might be only
a matter of configuration.  To test this, I installed /boot into a btrfs
subvolume.  Post install, I then edited extlinx.conf to add the prefix
/boot1/ to the /vmlinuz and /initramfs parameters. The installation
included a mount point for the btrfs volume so I then ran:
     /sbin/extlinux --install  /btrfsvol/boot1/extlinux and it responded
with device on /dev/vda1.

This looked like it should work but it did not.  Instead I got a lot of
"found" messages.

Comments?  Any ideas?

Gene