[syslinux] 5.01 whichsys.c32 / ifcpu64.c32 does not execute labels

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Feb 1 17:14:49 PST 2013

On 02/01/2013 08:52 PM, Ady wrote:

>> Hello
>>
>> I am working as developer of archiso (Arch Linux ISO creator). I am
>> triying to get working with syslinux 5.01 (previously using 4.06).
>>
>> whichsys.c32 does not execute labels and does not throws any error, just
>> a help message (the same thing happens with ifcpu64.c32 and ifcpu.c32)
>>
>> Example:
>>

>> boot: <<TAB>>
>>  select pxe sys
>>
>> boot: whichsys -iso- sys -pxe- pxe -sys- sys
>> Usage:    whichsys.c32 [-iso- command] [-pxe- command] [-sys- command]
>> Examples: whichsys.c32 -iso- chain.c32 hd0 -sys- chain.c32 hd1 swap
>>           whichsys.c32 -iso- config iso.cfg -pxe- config pxe.cfg
>> boot:
>>
>> The same things happens if anything command is passed as arguments, ie:
>>
>> boot: whichsys -sys- coco -iso- pepe
>> Usage:    whichsys.c32 [-iso- command] [-pxe- command] [-sys- command]
>> Examples: whichsys.c32 -iso- chain.c32 hd0 -sys- chain.c32 hd1 swap
>>           whichsys.c32 -iso- config iso.cfg -pxe- config pxe.cfg
>> boot:
>>
>> also if I try to execute a c32 file without extension, ie:
>>
>> boot: whichsys -iso- ls -sys- pwd
>> Usage:    whichsys.c32 [-iso- command] [-pxe- command] [-sys- command]
>> Examples: whichsys.c32 -iso- chain.c32 hd0 -sys- chain.c32 hd1 swap
>>           whichsys.c32 -iso- config iso.cfg -pxe- config pxe.cfg
>> boot:
>>
>> But if I pass with .c32, it works, but shows the helper message at end:
>>
>> boot: whichsys -iso- ls.c32 -sys- pwd.c32
>> [dir] .                    [dir] i686                       pkglist_i686.txt
>> [dir] ..                         aitab
>> [dir] boot                       checksum_i686.md5
>> Usage:    whichsys.c32 [-iso- command] [-pxe- command] [-sys- command]
>> Examples: whichsys.c32 -iso- chain.c32 hd0 -sys- chain.c32 hd1 swap
>>           whichsys.c32 -iso- config iso.cfg -pxe- config pxe.cfg
>> boot:
>>

>> I detected this, because it does not work from config file:
>>
>> ---
>> DEFAULT select
>>
>> LABEL select
>> COM32 boot/syslinux/whichsys.c32
>> APPEND -pxe- pxe -sys- sys -iso- sys
>>
>> LABEL pxe
>> CONFIG boot/syslinux/archiso_pxe_choose.cfg
>>
>> LABEL sys
>> CONFIG boot/syslinux/archiso_sys_choose.cfg
>> ---
>>
>> If more info/tests is needed please let me know.
>>

> When you tried to use whichsys.c32, could you please provide:

> A_ the path for your Current Working Directory?

boot: pwd
/arch/

> B_ the path for the cfg file where you have the relevant whichsys.c32
> boot entry?

/arch/boot/syslinux/archiso.cfg
/arch/boot/syslinux/whichsys.c32

> C_ the path of the boot loader, and which one you used in your tests
> (ldlinux.sys, isolinux.bin)?

both modes: syslinux and isolinux

* /arch/boot/syslinux/ldlinux.sys ( when installed on VFAT [extlinux -i
/<MNT>/arch/boot/syslinux] )

/arch/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg looks like this:

---
DEFAULT loadconfig

LABEL loadconfig
  CONFIG archiso.cfg
  APPEND ../../
---

* /isolinux/isolinux.bin

When booting in this mode directly using "El Torito" or via
"hybrid-mbr-iso": there is a /isolinux/isolinux.cfg with contents:

---
PATH /arch/boot/syslinux/
DEFAULT loadconfig

LABEL loadconfig
  CONFIG /arch/boot/syslinux/archiso.cfg
  APPEND /arch/
---

> D_ the path where you have ldlinux.c32?

/arch/boot/syslinux/ldlinux.c32

> E_ the path where you have libcom32.c32?

/arch/boot/syslinux/libcom32.c32

> Maybe with that additional info the issue can be replicated.

You may want to ask, "why all these chains?" because in this way, with
only one and the same directory structure and configuration files, we
made posible without any change to boot via all three mode
isolinux/syslinux/pxelinux and selecting if CPU supports 64-bit :)

I made a cutted (just syslinux relevant files) hard disk img (qcow2) for
qemu if you want (1.4MB) at:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/88891866/arch_.img.gz

> Thank you and Regards,

You are welcome :)