[syslinux] Recompiling syslinux

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Mon Feb 4 00:47:58 PST 2013

On Mon, Feb 04, 2013 at 12:01:34AM +0100, Geert Stappers wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 03, 2013 at 12:08:43PM -0800, Alakesh wrote:
> > I need to recompile syslinux on xenserver 6.0 with a minor change in the
> > ldlinux part. Can someone post the syslinux toolchain details? The dyslinux
> > version that comes with xenserver is 4.02. I have tried to compile it on
> > Ubuntu 12.10 and use the extlinux binary but with all kinds of side
> > effects. I cannot recompile 4.02 code on xenserver with gcc and nasm that
> > can be installed there from it base repository. Any help is appreciated
>
> Yep

Now some more love and time about "Any help is appreciated"

The original posting reports several problems:
1. The need for "a minor change in the ldlinux part"
2. toolchain requirements
3. previous attempt has "all kinds of side effects"
4. cannot recompile (with gcc and nasm that can be installed)
5. (cannot recompile with) gcc and nasm that can be installed
6. scope of the xenserver base repository

Where I can help:
2. toolchain requirements

>From the README file of syslinux
 You need nasm version 2.03 or later (2.07 or later recommended) to
 build SYSLINUX from source.

The remains of this E-mail are an attempt to help.

It would be helpfull if 4 and 5
  cannot recompile with gcc and nasm that can be installed
are elaborated. Output of `gcc --version` and `nasm -v` is a good start.
The "cannot recompile" will indeed take time and love to elaborate.

I think that 3, 'previous attempt has "all kinds of side effects"'
should get love and time in a follow-up on the hpa posting of january 31st.
( http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2013-January/019418.html )

>From http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2013-January/019417.html I understand
that 1, 'the need for "a minor change in the ldlinux part"'
is about "to debug some issue in second stage of syslinux boot".
IMHO it would be good to describe what issue version 4.02 has.

6, scope of the xenserver base repository, is an intresting challenge.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
> And is there a policy on top-posting vs. bottom-posting?
Yes.