[syslinux] [syslinux.exe] Failures to use\install on xp+ntfs

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 11 05:23:46 PST 2013

> I made several attepmts using the tree of 5.01 2013.
> My syslinux.cfg file has
>
>     display /path_to/syslinux.cfg
>
> directive.
>
> 1. The installation, with a --directory option, was successful.
>    After boot I got syslinux boot prompt.  The syslinux.cfg was not
>    displayed.  I guess that means the MBR was there, but not the
>    partition boot sector.
>
> Then I noticed the thread at
> http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2012-December/019024.html .
> Couldn't find an ntfstest.exe in the tree.  Don't know if those tests
> are relevant to my problems.  At this time I don't want to compile the
> tree.  And not sure whether it is to be executed from the cmd prompt,
> and what is the correct command line.  hd0 of the machine is only
> 30G.  hd0 1, the xp partition, is 14G.
>
> 2. The second attempt was to run syslinux.exe without a --directory
>    option.  The installation succeded.  When booting, I got the
>    display of /syslinux.cfg.  But booting to XP failed.  The
>    message was:
>
>      failed to load COM32 file chain.c32
>
>    syslinux.cfg has the lines
>
>         kernel chain.c32
>         append hd0 1
>
> 3. I thought that while trying to look into it, I will also have
>    syslinux running from c:\its_own_directory.  I tried two
>    directories name.  With both names, syslinux.exe gave me
>
>      Failed to move ldlinux.sys to destination directory: c:\dir\
>      Failed to move ldlinux.c32 to destination directory: c:\dir\
>
>    I can't tell why earlier syslinux.exe succeeded to install under
>    a deeper directory, but with c:\a_directory_closer_to_c it failed.

If you want help, you would need to provide more detailed info. For
example, the content of the cfg file, the exact installation command,
the content of the directory where you installed SYSLINUX, and any
error messages (after executing the installation command and/or after
booting).

For your case #3, and using the same drive and directory you already
mentioned, you should first create the directory (c:\dir\); and I
would recommend the following installation command (under XP):
syslinux.exe --directory /dir/ --install c:

BEWARE: this will overwrite your current partition boot sector for
"C:", so be careful about which drive letter you actually use.
Generally speaking, I would tend to doubt this is the drive letter
you really want to use, but of course it's up to you.

Note the use of slash "/" for the directory path.

Finally, you would need additional *.c32 files (from the same exact
Syslinux version) copied to the same directory (but be careful not to
overwrite what you already have in there), and the syslinux.cfg file
too.

To be clear, I am NOT specifically recommending the mentioned
directory ("\dir\") nor the drive ("C:"). I am just providing some
general clues using the same path you initially mentioned in your
case #3.

I now wonder if the Syslinux Wiki is not clear enough regarding the
installation command line.

Regards,
Ady.