[syslinux] global APPEND directive

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 11 05:23:46 PST 2013

> On Feb 10, 2013 2:09 PM, "Ady" <ady-sf at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Syslinux Team,
> >
> > I am trying to understand the usage of the global APPEND directive.
> >
> > Is there any equivalent to "APPEND -" for the "boot:" promptest?
> >
> > TIA,
> > Ady.
>
> No.  This is another reason why its usage is discouraged.  The other that I
> recall was that it was also appended to other non-Linux entities like
> COMBOOT/COM32.
>
> --
> -Gene

Thank you for you answer.

I am more confused now, because the behavior of the global APPEND
directive seems inconsistent between a cfg file and the command
prompt.

In a cfg file, there are multiple ways to override the global append.
In the command prompt, there seems to be no way at all to override
it.

In a cfg file, an APPEND command after a LABEL directive seems to
override the global APPEND (is there any way to merge them?), whereas
in the command prompt I am having problems to achieve the same -
instead of overriding the global append, it is always "merged". Thus,
the initial question in my first email.

The following is a simple example.

 *** syslinux.cfg start ***
PROMPT 1
APPEND /dir/

LABEL ls_label
COM32 /ls.c32
 *** syslinux.cfg end ***

>From the command prompt, I am trying to run "ls.c32 /", but it fails
(it seems to understand the command as "ls.c32 //dir/").

So...

1_ From the command prompt, is there any method to override the
global APPEND "/dir/"?

2_ In the cfg file, is there any method to merge a global APPEND with
a specific APPEND stated after a specific LABEL (kernel)?

TIA,
Ady.