[syslinux] global APPEND directive

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 11 10:48:31 PST 2013

> On 02/11/2013 05:23 AM, Ady wrote:
> >
> > I am more confused now, because the behavior of the global APPEND
> > directive seems inconsistent between a cfg file and the command
> > prompt.
> >
> > In a cfg file, there are multiple ways to override the global append.
> > In the command prompt, there seems to be no way at all to override
> > it.
> >

> That's correct.
>
> Global APPEND was a feature copied for LILO, and by and large it was a
> mistake.  If I would have done it all over, I wouldn't even have had an
> APPEND command but rather have had each KERNEL statement be the full
> command line.
>
> 	-hpa

Well, that's the history. In _part_, the APPEND section of the
command, or the final full command, seem "the same" in this context.

I am still interested in possible solutions, or at least workarounds,
to the questions:

1_ From the command prompt, is there any method to override the
global APPEND?

2_ In the cfg file, is there any method to merge a global APPEND with
a specific APPEND stated after a specific LABEL (kernel)?

For the second question, would "ONERROR" be a potential "workaround"?
Are there any other directives or c32 modules that would help achieve
the desired results?

Of course, if there are real "solutions" for each of both situations,
it would be much better (this is not just curiosity; I indeed have
practical cases in mind).

TIA,
Ady.