[syslinux] [syslinux.exe] Failures to use\install on xp+ntfs

Regid Ichira regid23 at nt1.in
Tue Feb 12 16:46:34 PST 2013

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 08:05:16PM +0000, Matt Fleming wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-02-11 at 17:11 +0200, Regid Ichira wrote:
> >   There were no other error messages.  I was not aware, and haven't
> > copied, chain.c32, libutil.c32 and libcom32.c32.  Are there more?
> > Where is it documented?
> >   The tree that I downloaded have the ELF files chain.c32,
> > libutil.c32 and libcom32.c32.  Will that work on XP?
>
> Yes, they will work to boot XP.

> > > Did you create the subdirectory before running the Syslinux installer?
> > > If I'm remembering correctly, the win installer will not create
> > > subdirectories for you, they must already exist.
> > >

> >   I did craete the subdirectory before installing.  Can I copy
> > those files myself before, or after, running syslinux?  If I
> > create a subdirectory and am able to create a file in it, does that
> > mean that syslinux.exe should also be able to create files in it?
> > I mean, is being able to create files myself in a subdiretory
> > eliminates the question of permissions?
>
> In that case, I'm not sure why the syslinux installer failed. I'll look
> into it.

  Thank you.
  As I already wrote, I have managed to have syslinux installed from
within XP, and boot XP.  I followed your comment and copied chain.c32,
libutil.c32 and libcom32.c32 manually.
  I don't know what made the errors about failing to move ldlinux.* go
away.  It could be that they appear in the first place because I have
mixed running syslinux.exe from XP native cmd console, and from cygwin.
Or maybe at some point I tried to copy them, or remove them, manually.
But these are only guesses.  I can not point out for sure how I made
the errors go away.