[syslinux] [syslinux.exe] Failures to use\install on xp+ntfs

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 13 03:36:10 PST 2013

> Would it not more convenient for the Windows (and DOS) installer that
> you can install
> Syslinux like this (no --directory switch needed anymore):
>
> syslinux.exe  --install c:\some_dir\
>
> as Windows needs to have the filesystem mounted anyway.
>
> This makes the syntax more similar to the extlinux installer, which
> also operates on
> a mounted filesystem.
>
> The --directory option only makes sense for the mtools version of the installer.
>
> - Gert

Hi Gert,

The following is my personal opinion as a simple user, FWIW.

Just from the final user's perspective (which in this case would
include understanding clear documentation), all installation commands
are easier when they are consistent / congruent. Whether the SYSLINUX
installation command is executed from DOS, Windows, or Linux (both
mtools and nomtools variants), it is easier to document, to
understand and to script when the command options are the same and
behave the same; and if not exactly the same, at least as similar as
possible.

Writing "syslinux --directory /some_dir/" can be correctly
interpreted (and used) equally, whether the command would be executed
under DOS, Windows or Linux.

The installation command for EXTLINUX is different, but there are no
ambiguities as there is only one such command.

So, although some technical circumstances for some SYSLINUX
installers might be similar to the EXTLINUX installer, as a simple
user the similarity in usage and in documentation between all
SYSLINUX installers is an advantage.

As said, this is only my view as final user.

Best Regards,
Ady.