[syslinux] [syslinux.exe] Failures to use\install on xp+ntfs

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Wed Feb 13 09:35:18 PST 2013

Op 13-2-2013 12:36, Ady schreef:
>> syslinux.exe  --install c:\some_dir\
>>
>> as Windows needs to have the filesystem mounted anyway.
> The following is my personal opinion as a simple user, FWIW.

I wouldn't mind sticking to an official 'cross-OS' syntax (as currently
is), but also allow other forms of syntax at the same time, for example
as listed at [ http://www.fdos.org/kernel/sys/ ].

You'd end up with:
SYSLINUX.EXE C:\SOME_DIR  (a.ka. "syslinux.exe C: -d /some_dir")
I suppose it means:
1) switching to C:\SOME_DIR
2) chop off the driveletter
3) determine the absolute directory/path (SOME_DIR)
4) something with case-sensitivity?
5) convert to Linux syntax (/SOME_DIR)
6) generate ldlinux.* on filesystem
7) install the generated specific-bootsector

Not sure if the installer should create a very basic config file if none
is found in the expected/default directories where the syslinux binary
resides. I suppose ldlinux.c32 gets loaded always anyways even without
config file.

> Just from the final user's perspective (which in this case would
> include understanding clear documentation), all installation commands
> are easier when they are consistent / congruent. Whether the SYSLINUX
> installation command is executed from DOS, Windows, or Linux (both
> mtools and nomtools variants), it is easier to document, to
> understand and to script when the command options are the same and
> behave the same; and if not exactly the same, at least as similar as
> possible.

Identical between platforms is nice to have as official documented
syntax. Identical between 'similar tools' would also be nice though,
just keep it as an inofficial documentation/method.