[syslinux] SYSLINUX stuck on boot about 0.1% of the time

Jayen Ashar j.ashar at marathon-targets.com
Wed Feb 20 13:07:41 PST 2013

Hi,

We recently switched from grub-legacy to EXTLINUX on our embedded
devices.  While it works great usually, about one of every thousand
boots, it gets stuck. [1]  A simple reboot fixes it straight away, but
that's not really acceptable for our customers, especially since there
is usually no monitor connected and they can't actually diagnose the
error, so they simply mark the device as bad.

Is this from a race condition or memory leak?  Or dodgy hardware?
Would a newer version of syslinux help?  (We're running 4.02 from
debian squeeze.)

Thanks,
Jayen

[1] https://trello-attachments.s3.amazonaws.com/4ffa2f972baf1b1c1b316dac/5120ec93788c2d8d1100486a/c8f4c69ec4ffe5883e408277b3fab562/no_boot_msg.jpg

--
Marathon Targets Pty Ltd
Marathon, like the run from Marathon to Athens