[syslinux] "go to the next higher menu" equivalent?

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 22 20:23:00 PST 2013

Hello Syslinux ML,

>From menu.txt:

[quote]
# Return to the main menu
LABEL mainmenu
	MENU LABEL Return to Main Menu
	KERNEL vesamenu.c32
	APPEND graphics.conf ~
[/quote]

The following example shows 3 (levels of) cfg files (instead of 2 as
in menu.txt).

        *** 1.cfg start ***
 # go to 2.cfg
 LABEL 2_lab
 COM32 menu.c32
 APPEND graphics.cfg 2.cfg
        *** 1.cfg end ***

        *** 2.cfg start ***
 LABEL 2main_lab
 COM32 menu.c32
 APPEND graphics.cfg ~

 # go to 3.cfg
 LABEL 3_lab
 COM32 menu.c32
 APPEND graphics.cfg 3.cfg
        *** 2.cfg end ***

        *** 3.cfg start ***
 LABEL 3main_lab
 COM32 menu.c32
 APPEND graphics.cfg ~
        *** 3.cfg end ***

By selecting 3main_lab we jump back to the initial ("main") 1.cfg.
This would achieve a similar effect as "menu goto .top" when using
submenus.

Is there any way to achieve a generic "go to the next higher menu"
(2.cfg in the example regarding 3.cfg) (which would be an equivalent
to "MENU EXIT" when using submenus)?

Although I hope to be wrong, my guess is that there is no equivalent
to "menu exit" when not using submenus. But maybe some different
syntax in 2.cfg and/or 3.cfg could achieve the same "go to the next
higher menu" effect?

Any ideas are appreciated.

TIA,
Ady.