[syslinux] Boot

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Sat Feb 23 09:14:08 PST 2013

Op 23-2-2013 5:21, Aniyan Rajan schreef:

>   I understand that this method uses isolinux. But I would like to know how
> can I use syslinux to boot from iso9660 ? Please help.

I don't know if you intend to modify an already existing CD (ISO file)
or create a project of yourself. In any case, download some smaller CD
images that use Syslinux/Isolinux as their bootloader, and have a look
at the configuration file (syslinux.cfg or isolinux.cfg). Then, try to
recreate the exact ISO out of the files that it consists of, using some
remastering program.

Once you're confident with that, modify an existing ISO (your link
already points to mkisofs syntax and a reference to isolinux.bin) or
create your own.

Small example CD images are available from:
http://www.hdt-project.org/wiki/WikiStart#Downloads
http://ipxe.org/

CDs using a more complex configuration file are available from:
http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=downloads
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

If you intend to experiment with some USB flash drive first, and happen
to be on Windows, there are countless USB formatting tools, many of
which can also install syslinux as the drive/device's bootmanager. One
such example is RUFUS ( http://rufus.akeo.ie/ )

Bernd