[syslinux] setting sound indicators for Isolinux menu selections

Jeffrey Malewski jmlwsk at toast.net
Mon Feb 25 09:42:04 PST 2013

Hello,
I am an active member of the Vinux community and have taken on a project of
remastering a Ubuntu installation Cd in order to make it accessable to a
blind user. I am able to sound the system bell when the boot menu loads by
adding a ^G to the label statement which works well to tell a blind user
they are at the boot menu. My intent is to sound the bell at each menu item,
but I'm unable to do so since I'm only able to use the hotkey once. My
questions is, is it possible to set an "onselect" function that would sound
the bell each time the selection changed? I'm looking at the "say" command
but I'm unsure if that will accomplish my goal. Any suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff Malewski