[syslinux] setting sound indicators for Isolinux menu selections

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Tue Feb 26 01:55:45 PST 2013

"Jeffrey Malewski" <jmlwsk at toast.net> writes:

> The "^G" is as you assumed the ascii 7 which sounds the system bell
> and I've found adding it to the first label statemt will beep the pc
> speaker when the menu loads. That will work as a bare minimum to let a
> blind user know the menu has loaded. I read something on the Grml blog
> greacently announcing their latest release had sound indicators for
> each menu item and I had hoped to implement something similar.

Just out of curiosity, how exactly would this be useful?  A blind user
couldn't really use the menu system anyway, s/he would have to be given
a sequence of key presses to perform (hotkeys, probably) which get the
OS booted and ready to drive the Braille devices (for example).  And if
s/he gets lost, pressing the reset button should work just fine.
Feri.