[syslinux] Problem with pxelinux 5.0 and memtest

Maximilian Pasternak syslinux at bluescreen.de
Wed Feb 27 08:32:03 PST 2013

2013/2/20 Wim Janssen <WPJ.Janssen at science.ru.nl> wrote:

> In previous versions of pxelinux/gpxelinux (4.04 and 4.06) I could successfully
> start the memtest utility.  But using pxelinux/gpxelinux versions 5.01 and 5.02 the
> memtest utility does not boot and I get an error message:

> I am wondering if somebody else is having the same problem or do I make some obvious mistake?

No Problem here with 5.01.

> I currently have a workaround, but that won't work with hdt.c32
>
> LABEL Memtest
>     MENU LABEL Mem^test86
>     MENU INDENT 2
>     KERNEL memdisk
>     INITRD utils/memtest86+-4.20.iso
>     APPEND raw iso

Why do you use the ISO instead of the Bootable Binary?
http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.bin.gz

LABEL memtest
    MENU LABEL Memtest x86+
    KERNEL memtest

Works also with hdt - but you have to use the Version wich comes with Syslinux,
the Version from http://hdt-project.org/ is the old binary format and did not work.

Also be sure to use the memtest binary from http://www.memtest.org/ since
there are several broken binaries out there!

Best regards

Maximilian