[syslinux] Some MENU directives are shown as "(null)" in CLI

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 27 19:34:35 PST 2013

> > > Sure, please send it along and I'll have a look at this bug.
> > >

> This email is related to the issue described by Bernd.
>
> In 5.xx, it seems as if the CLI is misinterpreting (or something
> alike) some "MENU *" directives (I don't have the necessary knowledge
> to express this issue more accurately or correctly, as I am not a
> developer).
>
> For example, in Bernd's ISOLINUX cfg, the last 4 of the "(null)"
> shown in the CLI correspond to "MENU SEPARATOR" directives. The first
> "(null)" corresponds to either "MENU BEGIN" or to its (submenu) "MENU
> TITLE".

Still happening with 5.02pre3.

 *** isolinux.cfg start ***
UI menu.c32
LABEL hello1
COM32 hello.c32
MENU SEPARATOR
LABEL hello2
COM32 hello.c32
 *** isolinux.cfg end ***

How to replicate:
Press ESC to show the boot prompt. In CLI, press TAB to list
available labels. Between hello1 and hello2, "(null)" is listed.
Comment out the above MENU SEPARATOR and "(null)" will not be
displayed. Other "menu *" directives can cause the same effect.

Additionally, using ISOLINUX 5.02pre3 -> menu.c32, the CONFIG
directive doesn't work. Instead of loading the new cfg file, the same
menu is displayed again. The same set of cfg files works correctly
regarding the CONFIG directive with 5.02pre1. (Note: this is
off-topic regarding this specific email thread.)

TIA,
Ady.