[syslinux] Booting an ISO with FreeDOS over PXE with memdisk

Per Jessen per at computer.org
Thu Feb 28 23:38:42 PST 2013

I've got $SUBJ almost working except for the DOS bit where the CD needs
to be read.

My pxe config:

label Firmware
    menu label Update IPMI firmware
    kernel memdisk
    append keeppxe raw iso  initrd=<isofile>

The ISO is about 400Mb, and works fine when I boot it from an actual
CDROM drive.  It also boots fine over PXE, I can see FreeDOS being
booted up etc. The problem is - once in DOS, there is no access to the
CD.  The CDROM driver doesn't load due to "no cdrom found".  Does this
ring a bell with anyone?
The ISO is from a manufacturer, but I can modify it if needed (change
the DOS setup for instance).

>From the FreeDOS boot image:

config.sys:
DEVICE=FDXMS.SYS