[syslinux] Proposal for Chain-Loadable LDLINUX.SYS

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Fri Jan 4 09:45:32 PST 2013

Op 3-1-2013 23:05, Shao Miller schreef:

> Pretty awesome!  I wonder if there's any advantage to merging
> ldlinux.sys and the >= 6.00 (U)EFI binary in this fashion, later on.

So that would end up with a single binary that's loadable in the
following ways:
1) bootsector
2) chainloading (from chain.c32 or Grub or whatever)
3) multiboot-loadable
4) EFI
5) EFI-secureboot (like the Fedora signed shim from mjg59)

and on the bright side you'd only need 1 installation of all the *.c32
modules instead of 5.00 at /BOOT and 6.00 at /BOOT/EFI (or EFI/BOOT ,
still a mystery to me all this UEFI stuff).

What disksize would a stripped / compressed non-debug UEFI-compatible
binary have?

Bernd