[syslinux] help

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 5 22:00:27 PST 2013

> while installing from WinXP:
> (i) to make "Vesamenu.c32" as default

If I may ask, why? I mean, the content of syslinux.cfg you posted
shows no need (no utility, no advantage) for vesamenu.c32, so
menu.c32 seems enough. In other words, what are you trying to achieve
(with vesamenu) that you are not already getting from menu.c32?

> (ii)use a subdirectory in the floppy,

Again, what for? The floppy has very little free space. Adding a
subdirectory is supposed to be useful for some kind of organization
(and occupies space). Currently, the floppy contains just 7 files
(including the hidden and system ones). Are you planning to add more
files (not related to Syslinux) to that floppy?

To be clear, I _can_ explain how to re-install SYSLINUX to a
subdirectory in that floppy (it needs some extra commands, because
the free space is so low). But if you could clarify the real need for
you to do this in this floppy, I can probably be more useful and
clearer in the instructions.

> (iii)executing the command under Win98:
>  using "Vesamenu.c32" as default in syslinux.cfg and use a subdirectory
> in the floppy.

The main difference under Win98 is that instead of using SYSLINUX.EXE
("Win32"), you need SYSLINUX.COM ("DOS", in the official Syslinux
distribution archive).

> (iv) in the following,
> Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
> (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
>
> F:\Documents and Settings\Prof S W Damle>DIR A: /AH /S
>  Volume in drive A has no label.
>  Volume Serial Number is 0624-0EE1
> File Not Found
>
> F:\Documents and Settings\Prof S W Damle>
> Interpretation of the remark "File Not Found" >does it indicate hidden
> file not found?

When you previously executed that "DIR" command, there were no
"hidden" files; meaning, at that moment in that floppy, there was no
file that had the "Hidden" attribute set. There may - or may not - be
other files present, but if there are, they don't have the "Hidden"
attribute set.

Now that you have installed SYSLINUX to that floppy, you can run the
same exact command again and there will be file(s) listed (with the
"Hidden" attribute).

Regards,
Ady.