[syslinux] question

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 10 19:22:27 PST 2013

> I am working fine with  Dos installer from Win98se in Syslinux-4.06.
>
> However feel sorry to say that Dos installer from Win98se in
> Syslinux-5.00  FAILS.
>
>  (i) My Transcend 4GB USB is detected as O:,
>
> (ii)I have WinXP installed on F: and Win98se installed on C:
>

> mkdir o:\syslinux
> cd C:\Unzipped\syslinux-5.00\DOS
> syslinux -d syslinux o:
> ------------------
> Passes remark >illegal operation and will be terminated.

Q1: Are you booting to Win98 before executing that syslinux
installation command? In other words, are you running that command
from Win98 or from WinXP? Please note - and please forgive me for
this note; I just want to be clear - that the fact that the DOS-based
installer is located in "C:...", which happens to be where Win98 is
installed, is not related to this question. The question is which OS
is running when you try to execute the SYSLINUX installation command.

Q2: Have you tried to execute the following command?
syslinux --directory /syslinux --install o:

Note that there are two consecutive "minus" signs before "directory"
and also before "install", and that there is no space right after the
minus signs.

Also note that the specified directory, "/syslinux", starts with a
"slash bar". Please don't forget to use it, and please don't use
backslash "\" instead. Although Windows usually uses backslash for
paths, and some compatibility with backslash was added in Syslinux
5.00, the "safest" command would be to use slash "/" for the
"--directory" option, even under Windows.

Q3: Which file system is used for "C:"? FAT16? FAT32? (Other?)

Q4: Which file system is used for "O:"? FAT16? FAT32? (Other?)

Q5: Have you tried to execute the Win32 command? And what about the
Win64 command?

Q5: Have you tried booting into your WinXP and trying to execute the
Win32 and/or the Win64 installer from there?

Whether you succeed or you fail in any of those attempts, please
report back.

Thank you and Best Regards,
Ady.