[syslinux] question

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Fri Jan 11 11:13:27 PST 2013

Op 11-1-2013 13:47, Prof S W Damle schreef:

> I am working fine with  Dos installer from Win98se in Syslinux-4.06.
>
> However feel sorry to say that Dos installer from Win98se in
> Syslinux-5.00  FAILS.

I don't know if the Syslinux installer returns any errorcodes, but you
might want to change your batchfile to do the following:

1) create the destination directory (O:\SYSLINUX)
2) check for the destination directory
3) run SYSLINUX.COM
4) verify that LDLINUX.SYS is present (and LDLINUX.C32 perhaps as well
if you want to be futureproof)
5) if [4] was OK, copy remainder of files

Optionally you might want to start with a step
[0a] copy syslinux.cfg to some place
[0b] erase old Syslinux files
      (might require ATTRIB -R -S -H O:\*.* /S first)

You mention SYSLINUX 5.xx fails to properly run/install under Win98 with
its default command interpreter COMMAND.COM (from MSDOS 7.10) while 4.06
version runs fine. That might be an issue inside the Syslinux installer
program, but to verify that you'll need first need to test if:
1) SYSLINUX.COM runs fine under MSDOS 7.10 (exit Win98 to DOS-mode)
2) SYSLINUX.EXE runs fine under WinXP

Possibly the LOCK command is also useful under Win98 (and MSDOS).

If all else fails, use filesystem-destructive flash format tools like
RUFUS (v1.3.1 at [ http://rufus.akeo.ie/ ]) or RMprepUSB, they usually
install a bootsector, even for Syslinux (old version likely).

Unfortunately I don't have Win98 anymore anywhere so I can't try to
replicate your issue. All I can recommend is trying to upgrade Syslinux
when running WinXP as operating system.

The installer includes the target binary instead of (also?) accepting an
external LDLINUX.SYS and copying that + generating bootsector. Not sure
it handles removing old LDLINUX.SYS first if it's marked as system file
(hidden, system, read-only).

> The batch file used is as follows:

What prevents you from running this under XP? Except maybe the desire to
also have it working under Win98.

Bernd