[syslinux] question

Prof S W Damle swdamle at bsnl.in
Sat Jan 12 04:41:37 PST 2013

On 10 jan 2012 Ady wrote >

Q1: Are you booting to Win98 before executing that syslinux
installation command? In other words, are you running that command
from Win98 or from WinXP? Please note - and please forgive me for
this note; I just want to be clear - that the fact that the DOS-based
installer is located in "C:...", which happens to be where Win98 is
installed, is not related to this question. The question is which OS
is running when you try to execute the SYSLINUX installation command.

A1: Yes I am booting to Win98se before executing that syslinux
installation command.
>I am running that command from Win98se.

>Win98se is the OS running when I am executing the SYSLINUX installation
command.

Q2: Have you tried to execute the following command?
syslinux --directory /syslinux --install o:

Note that there are two consecutive "minus" signs before "directory"
and also before "install", and that there is no space right after the
minus signs.

Also note that the specified directory, "/syslinux", starts with a
"slash bar". Please don't forget to use it, and please don't use
backslash "\" instead. Although Windows usually uses backslash for
paths, and some compatibility with backslash was added in Syslinux
5.00, the "safest" command would be to use slash "/" for the
"--directory" option, even under Windows.

A2: Yes to day the 12 jan 2013,
 I tried to execute the command  syslinux --directory /syslinux
--install o: as follows:

>WinXP is the running OS.

mkdir O:\syslinux
cd F:\Syslinux-5.00\win32
syslinux --directory /syslinux --install o:

>When Restarted the m/c,
> Received the following message:
>Syslinux 5.00 EDD 2012-12-06 Copyright(c) 1994-2012 H. Peter Anvin et
at
with "-" keeps on blinking.

Q3: Which file system is used for "C:"? FAT16? FAT32? (Other?)

A3: file system used for "C:" is FAT32.

Q4: Which file system is used for "O:"? FAT16? FAT32? (Other?)

A4: file system used for "O:" is FAT(16).

Q5: Have you tried to execute the Win32 command? And what about the
Win64 command?

A5: I  tried booting into my WinXP and tried to execute the
Win32
>As described in "A2".
>NOT tried the Win64 installer from there.

Q5: Have you tried booting into your WinXP and trying to execute the
Win32 and/or the Win64 installer from there?

A5: above.

Your Next instructions Please.

With best Regards,

Prof S W Damle