[syslinux] question

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 11 17:03:00 PST 2013

> Q2: Have you tried to execute the following command?
> syslinux --directory /syslinux --install o:
>

> A2: Yes to day the 12 jan 2013,
>  I tried to execute the command  syslinux --directory /syslinux
> --install o: as follows:
>
> >WinXP is the running OS.
>
> mkdir O:\syslinux
> cd F:\Syslinux-5.00\win32
> syslinux --directory /syslinux --install o:
>
> >When Restarted the m/c,
> > Received the following message:
> >Syslinux 5.00 EDD 2012-12-06 Copyright(c) 1994-2012 H. Peter Anvin et
> at
> with "-" keeps on blinking.

Well, that's already a different behavior than what was seen before.
Although you seem to have some problem with the boot process, the
Win32 installer itself is not giving your any error message. You
mentioned running that exact command from XP, but not from Win98.
Have you tried it (I mean the same exact command using the DOS
installer)? Does it also return the same error message as before?

> Q4: Which file system is used for "O:"? FAT16? FAT32? (Other?)
>
> A4: file system used for "O:" is FAT(16).

Hmm, that's a 64KiB cluster size. Just to be sure, when you
successfully used SYSLINUX.COM v4.06, was that on this same device?
Have you re-partitioned or re-formatted this USB device since then?

If the Syslinux v5.00 Win32-based installer executed correctly
without any error messages, we have to ask ourselves what changed
that makes this device behave differently. This is independent of the
DOS installer issue you initially described.

Please open (for edition) the file:
O:\SYSLINUX\SYSLINUX.CFG

then in the first line add:
PROMPT 1

(that's the number "one" after the "prompt" word with a space in
between).

Then save it and try to boot the device and report back.

(Note for the next steps, just in case: FYI, in a cmd window, you can
copy text from inside the cmd window with [alt+spacebar] -> Edit ->
Mark -> use the mouse to select the relevant text lines and press
[ENTER], and then "paste" it in Notepad or directly into your next
email.)

In addition, please boot into XP and report the result of:
DIR O:\*.C32 /A /S /O /X

and the result of:
DIR O:\LDLINUX*.* /A /S /O /X

and the result of: