[syslinux] question

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 13 15:57:48 PST 2013

> Monday,14 jan13:
>
> > Ady wrote,
> I would like to suggest a different approach, for troubleshooting
> purposes:
>
> Done the needful as follows:
>
> 1_ backed up "O:\syslinux\SYSLINUX.CFG" as
> "O:\syslinux\SYSLINUX.CF1"
>
> 2_ Verifid that there is no "syslinux.cfg" anywhere in the "O:" drive,
>
> deleted all "O:\syslinux\*.c32".
>
> 3_ Under Windows XP,Ran as follows:
>
> F:\Documents and Settings\Prof S W Damle>cd F:\Syslinux-5.00\win32
>
> F:\syslinux-5.00\win32>syslinux --directory /syslinux --install O:
>
> F:\syslinux-5.00\win32>
>
> (Now o:\syslinux contains only 3 files >ldlinux.c32, ldlinux.sys,
> SYSLINUX.CF1)
>
> 4_ Restarted the m/c
>
> Received the message as follows:
>
> Syslinux 5.00 EDD 2012-12-06 Copyright(c) 1994-2012 H. Peter Anvin et at
> warning: No configuration file found.
> boot: "-" blinking.
>
> 5_ Copied under WinXP, a new the same *.c32 files I had, in the
> "O:\syslinux\" with a care NOT overwrite ldlinux.c32 and ldlinux.sys in
> that subdirectory.
>
> 6_ May I Rename "SYSLINUX.CF1" as "SYSLINUX.CFg"?
> Your Next instructions Please.

Well, my "next" instructions are what I already posted in my previous
email as steps #6 and #7:

***
(At least for now, please continue under Windows  XP...)

6_ From step #1 above, you have "O:\syslinux\SYSLINUX.CF1". Copy it
to "O:\syslinux\SYSLINUX.CFG". Please note that it shall be located
in the "O:\syslinux\" subdirectory ONLY and nowhere else in the "O:"
drive.

7_ Please boot with this "O:" drive to test it. Since our "PROMPT 1"
is still there in the "O:\syslinux\SYSLINUX.CFG" file, we should
expect a "boot:" prompt (not a menu). If we get to this "boot:"
prompt, then we can continue with more steps so to get to see the
boot menu instead of this "boot:" prompt.

***

So, please follow those 2 steps too (unless there is some doubt about
them) and report the result.

It might be convenient, together with your next report, to add to
your next email also the result of a new:
DIR O:\*.C32 /A /S /X

(also under Windows XP).

Whichever the result, in addition to your report, could you please
also attach to your next email your "O:\syslinux\SYSLINUX.CFG" file?
(Note: in zipped or gzipped or 7zip form should be small enough;
hopefully the ML administrator(s) won't reject it. Or upload it
somewhere, as simple text in some "pastebin" site. Or upload it to
some other site that won't require registration using whichever form
you'd like, compressed or as simple text.)

The reason for me to request your SYSLINUX.CFG file (instead of
copying the text directly into the main section of the email) is
because Syslinux 5.00 still has some known bugs regarding the content
of CFG files, so it will be faster for me to review your SYSLINUX.CFG
file against those known problems than to ask you about them by email
back and forth.

If sending your SYSLINUX.CFG file would not be possible for you for
whichever reason, then it would probably take us a very long time to
evaluate it. IMHO, sending or uploading the file would save us
precious time.

Of course, please first continue with the suggested steps #6 and #7.

Thank you and Regards,
Ady.