[syslinux] Reports from 5.00

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 14 02:23:42 PST 2013

> 5.01 should be released by the beginning of next week.

The following problems (among others) are present in 5.00. I hope
they can be solved for 5.01.

A_ LABEL directive with trail space characters fails:
http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2012-December/019153.html

B_ TEXT HELP directive hangs (easier to see when using Windows-like
new lines, CR/LF):
http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2012-December/019063.html

C_ While initially thought to be a problem with the INCLUDE
directive, now it seems the problem is the second parameter of the
CONFIG directive. The second parameter of the CONFIG directive (which
sets a new CWD) doesn't seem to work correctly (tested with pwd.c32),
specially when the new cfg file (the first parameter of the CONFIG
directive) is not located in the soon-to-be new CWD. One potential
example could be the ML email thread that _ends_ at
http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2012-December/019062.html.

D_ (This one might be already solved in git, but I have not re-tested
it.) Getting out from HDT (version from Syslinux 5.00) using the
"exit" option (instead of rebooting) so to return back to syslinux
(menu.c32) fails (hangs). How to reproduce: boot to menu.c32, select
hdt.c32 entry, exit back to menu.c32.

E_ Under FreeDOS, SYSLINUX.COM doesn't seem to install ldlinux.*
(specially when used with "--directory"), and there are no ([error])
messages; not even when executed with no parameters, or with
"--help", or with "--version". The messages disappeared _after_
5.00-pre7.

TIA,
Ady.