[syslinux] SysLinux 5.0 - Problems booting via PXE

Matt Fleming matt at console-pimps.org
Mon Jan 14 13:28:11 PST 2013

On Mon, 2013-01-14 at 18:44 +0100, Schlomo Schapiro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 14 January 2013 16:35, Matt Fleming <matt at console-pimps.org> wrote:
>
> > If your testing turns any up we
> > can hopefully get them fixed in time for 5.01.
> >

> 5.00 loaded the installation of SL6 but did not pass the kernel command
> lines.
>
> 5.01-pre2 does not even load:

Urrghhh... this old chestnut. I didn't think this bug was so widespread.
The bug I'm referring to causes this,

What was happening here last time I tried diagnosing this was that just
before we jump to the kernel we fail to compute the movelist, because we
can't find the "critical byte". Then we return all the way up the
callstack without setting errno, so the errno value above ("Bad file
number") is stale, and doesn't represent the error.

Schlomo, are you able to rebuild the binaries in the Syslinux prerelease
and try to reproduce this bug? If you turn on -DDEBUG=2 in mk/devel.mk
and do a,

	make spotless
	make all

and use the resultant {g}pxelinux.0 and ldlinux.c32 to try and boot your
kernel you should get some helpful output which you can output over
serial, etc.

This is really the best way we're gonna debug this.

--
Matt Fleming, Intel Open Source Technology Center