[syslinux] question

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 16 11:38:08 PST 2013

> Wednesday,January16, 2013  9.30PM
>
> 1_  Replaced current "O:\syslinux\syslinux.cfg" file with
> the new one sent by you
>
> 2_  Booted with my "O:" drive.
>
> Displays as follows:
>
> Syslinux 5.00 EDD 2012-12-06 Copyright(c) 1994-2012 H. Peter Anvin et at
>
> boot: "-" blinking.
>
> >pressed <Enter> at the boot prompt.
>
> >Displays Bootable Menu.

Great. Now, to boot directly to the menu, under XP please edit (with
notepad or equivalent) "O:\syslinux\syslinux.cfg". The first 2 lines
currently are:
DEFAULT menu.c32
PROMPT 1

1_ So please change the second line to:
PROMPT 0

(that is the number zero after the word "prompt" with a space in
between).

2_ Save and close "O:\syslinux\syslinux.cfg". Boot your "O:" drive.
It should display the menu directly (instead of the first "boot:"
prompt).

3_ In your original syslinux.cfg (the one you backed up as
syslinux.cf1) you used:
DEFAULT vesamenu.c32

Since I don't see anything there that would need "vesamenu.c32", I
used instead:
DEFAULT menu.c32

So, if you want to test the difference between the two possibilities,
change that line again to "DEFAULT vesamenu.c32", save it and boot
again with your "O:" drive. Is there any difference? Is it showing
the menu correctly? Is there any messages (instead of the menu)?

4_ Now, there is one thing in that syslinux.cfg file I sent you that
I can't correct for this specific Syslinux 5.00: using multiple lines
as "TEXT HELP". This is a known bug in Syslinux 5.00, so I had to put
all the text in between each pair of TEXT HELP - ENDTEXT directives
in one line. With this specific version of Syslinux, this text is not
going to be displayed on the screen the way you want it. If you try
to use more than one line of text, with this specific version of
Syslinux the boot menu will hang. The good news is that the next
version, 5.01, should hopefully correct this bug, so you should be
able to use multiple lines again in between each pair of TEXT HELP -
ENDTEXT directives.

I would also recommend opening both files:
"O:\syslinux\syslinux.cfg" , and
"O:\syslinux\syslinux.cf1" ,

and compare them. You might find it useful and you might learn about
the directives too.

5_ If all of the above is working, now it's up to you to add the
adequate images to your "O:" drive and use the boot menu accordingly.

6_ Regarding SYSLINUX.COM version 5.00 for Win9x/DOS, I would
recommend NOT using it for now, specially when you have the option of
using SYSLINUX.EXE under WinXP.

Please test and if anything I described above doesn't match what you
experience in your next tests, don't hesitate to provide appropriate
feedback and ask
accordingly.

Thank you and Regards,
Ady.