[syslinux] The DOS installer problem

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Thu Jan 17 10:51:18 PST 2013

Op 17-1-2013 19:29, H. Peter Anvin schreef:
> I am now convinced the problem is really trivial to solve.  The problem
> is that ldlinux.c32 is too big, but we already know that stripping the
> modules gets them down to a reasonable size:
>
> 430318 ldlinux.c32
> 114376 ldlinux.c32

So stripped files inside the binary installer, followed by the installer
being compressed? Both size and memory reduction then, nice solution you
found there.

>   66798 ldlinux.c32.lzo
>   61513 ldlinux.c32.gzip
>
> ... which would really take care of the problem.

Theoretical complaint: wouldn't a decompression engine in the Syslinux
core file itself go against the design goals? Inside LDLINUX.C32 a
decompression engine is logical/necessary at least for loading
modules/libraries/kernels

Bernd