[syslinux] The DOS installer problem

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Jan 18 11:43:51 PST 2013

On 01/17/2013 01:41 PM, Ady wrote:

> BTW, you might want to evaluate updating the [mini]LZO code included
> in more than one directory of the Syslinux archive (LZO v2.03) to its
> latest version (v2.06).
> http://www.oberhumer.com/opensource/lzo/lzonews.php

The code in the Syslinux core hadn't changed at all (only comments), but
I updated it anyway because I wanted to switch to the "safe" version
which does bounds checking.

>> But as a first cut, just stripping the modules will help a huge lot.
>
> Stripping the modules would be welcome independently of the DOS
> installer issue anyway.

Indeed, and that is now on the elflink branch.

I have a new branch called slzm (Syslinux compressed modules) which
contains additional code which compresses all the modules, using the
same LZO engine.  Unfortunately the standard lzop container format had
some disadvantages, so I ended up creating a custom header... a bit ugly
but it works.

I'm still a bit of two minds about it.  It has the potential to slow
booting down (due to additional copies) just as well as speeding it up,
unfortunately.